What Kind of Flaws Can Porcelain Veneers Fix?
One way of thinking about porcelain veneers is comparing them to new siding on a house. The siding completely covers what’s underneath and gives the house a fresh new appearance.
Similarly, porcelain veneers adhere to the front surfaces of the teeth and make them look completely different. They’re perfect for anyone trying to mask the following issues (and are especially helpful if you have more than one):
- Chips and cracks
- Severe staining or discoloration that doesn’t respond to whitening treatments
- Minor gaps or crowding
- Small or oddly shaped teeth
What Other Benefits Do They Offer?
Veneers can be made from several different materials, but porcelain is superior for several reasons:
- It’s incredibly strong and durable, so by getting regular checkups and doing well with your oral hygiene, your veneers can last an average of 10-15 years.
- Porcelain is non-porous and very stain-resistant, so you won’t have to worry about coffee, tea or red wine staining your new smile.
- It also reflects light more like natural teeth do, making it look very natural.
Are Porcelain Veneers Right For You?
The best way to determine whether porcelain veneers are right for you is to schedule a consultation with a cosmetic dentist in Park City. First, they’ll ask you about your goals and will evaluate your dental history so they can create the best treatment plan for you.
And, although most patients are good candidates for porcelain veneers, it’s important to have reasonably healthy teeth and gums beforehand. If you have advanced gum disease or severe cavities, a dentist will probably recommend addressing those issues first, or may even recommend another procedure altogether such a dental crown or bridge to better serve your needs.
Having said that, porcelain veneers are a fantastic solution for most people, and you no longer have to be a movie star to have the procedure done!
About the Author
Dr. Cody Calderwood is a general, restorative and cosmetic dentist in Park City who is known for the beautiful work he does with porcelain veneers. By combining top-notch materials with an artistic eye, he’s transformed the smiles of countless patients with a wide variety of cosmetic flaws. If you’re considering porcelain veneers and have any questions, he can be reached via his website or at (435) 649-4343.